Churches in Watonga
Ferguson Chapel Presbyterian Church First dedicated in 1903.
Restored in 1992
Annual Events: Ice Cream Social in August and the Old Fashion Christmas in December
Restoration of the Ferguson Chapel Presbyterian Church has been a "community project". The majority of the work was completed by volunteer help by Watonga citizens after regular working hours.
The Ferguson Chapel Presbyterian Church is available to use for: WEDDINGS, MEETINGS, and HISTORICAL EVENTS. The church is shown by appointment (580.623.5452).
History of the Ferguson Chapel
Filling in a vacancy at the Presbyterian Church at Kingfisher was the Reverend G. V. Albertson, who joined in the great race into what is now Blaine County. He staked a lot for the Presbyterian Church in Watonga. Mr. Albertson organized almost 250 Sunday Schools.
Among them, in Blaine County, were Geary, Greenfield, Watonga and Winnview. In December of 1901 eleven members met to organize a Presbyterian Church. The cost to build the church was $1387.99. Wages paid to workers on the church were $2.00 per day. The Church was dedicated Sunday, June 14, 1903.
The Winnview Presbyterian Church located east of Watonga joined the Ferguson Chapel Presbyterian Church in 1918. The Ferguson Chapel Presbyterian Church was an active church in Watonga from 1901 to 1972. The first pastor of the church was Reverend J. G. Curry and the last pastor of the church was Reverend Sam Hee Shinn. Restoration
In December of 1992, a group of concerned citizens led by Fred R. Lucas, D.D.S. met to discuss restoration of the Ferguson Chapel Presbyterian Church. The agreement to purchase the building from Dick and Joan Oler was on December 7, 1992. A non-profit organization was set up and by March 1993; over $25,000 was received from individuals from all areas of the United States.
Most of the contributions came from persons whose families had ties with the Church and from local individuals interested in restoring the Church to historical accuracy. The building was purchased on March 11, 1993.
Following is a list of churches in Watonga
Assembly of God
3rd & Harmon
316 W. Second
Christ Gospel 620 N Newer 580-623-8139
Church of Christ 912 N Leach 580-623-4704
Church of God in Christ 210 S Spiece 580-623-8447
Church of the Nazarene Highway 33 East 580-623-5375
Etna Wesleyan Church Rt 1, Box 60 580-623-4283
First Assembly of God 3rd & Harmon 580-623-5696
First Baptist Church PO Box 167 301 N Noble 580-623-5158
Gospel Alive Church
220 Taylor Road
His Hand Extended Pentecostal Holiness 817 West 2nd Street 580-623-4611
Just a Voice Tabernacle 211 East Main 580-623-7441
St. Rose Catholic Church
900 N Clarence Nash
Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church 621 N Leach 580-623-5099
New Hope Baptist Church American Legion Building
Oasis Church 121 W. Main Street 580-623-5271
Pentecostal Church of God
210 S Wikoff
Trinity Baptist Church 700 N Clarence Nash Blvd 580-623-7287
Union Baptist Church 224 East 'A' Street 580-623-7675
Whirlwind Mission of the Holy Family PO Box 26 Watonga, OK 73772 580-623-5585